Communication is something that many people have problems with daily. Lack of communication can cause problems in a lot of ways. If you would like to have a life that is positive then one way to get there is just with simply working on your communication skills. You would be surprised as to how having outstanding communication skills can really help you out in life and in relationships. Here are 5 ways to communicate with people better.
1. Don’t rush. Learn how to pause right before you speak. Often times we might rush because we are excited about something or because we get nervous but that can cause problems. Breathe and pause before you start to speak out again. Recollect your thoughts and then speak without rushing the sentence.
2. Learn to be honest and trustworthy when talking to others. I know that sometimes it can be hard to be honest and trustworthy but you might find yourself having to worry about many things if you are not a trustworthy person. When you remain honest and open then it will be so much easier to communicate with people.
3. Watch out for cues that might be non-verbal. A lot of times communication is all about what was not said instead of what was being said and that is why it is important that you pay attention to cues that might be non-verbal. Watch their eyes, mouth, hands and body language when they are talking. You might be surprised as to how much you can learn by just watching these things.
4. Always be open-minded and patient. Stop looking at your watch every few minutes. Learn to be patient when you are talking with someone. If you must leave then say good-bye in a good way but without trying to cut in on them. Another way to communicate with people is also with making sure that you stay open-minded. Don’t get so keyed in on what you believe and on your thoughts. Listen to what others have to say and be patient as they are trying to explain things to you.
5. Start asking for some more feedback. Ask other people if they have some ideas and suggestions to help you with being able to communicate better. This might be difficult to do but it does let them know that you are trying. After you are done talking with them then go and write down what they have suggested so it can be something that you can review every day until you memorize it. Don’t just ask one person for feedback. Talk with several people and hear what all of them have to say.
Regardless as to how much we might be improving with communication it can still be hard at times. If you do accidently make a mistake then just learn from it and move on. One of the biggest keys when trying to communicate is just simply to pay attention on how you might be communicating with other people and how they communicate with you.