When you are about to start a job for the first time then you might find yourself nervous and eager plus a bundle of many other emotions. One thing to remember is that a first impression is always important and so you want to make sure that you make the right first impression with your boss but how can you when you are a bundle of nerves?
Here are 5 tips to help you out with making a great first impression with your boss.
1. Take your time with fitting in and try not to rush fitting in too fast. Give yourself some time to really know the people that you will be working with and don’t rush the relationship with your colleagues. It might make them feel uncomfortable if you try too hard and it could end up going in the exact opposite of what you wanted and this is another reason as to why you should not rush things at your work. You can also start building up positive images in your mind about the relationships that you have at work and try to avoid thinking negative about those people.
2. Project and act with confidence. No one likes hanging out with people at work that might not look confident about what they are doing. It could make your colleague nervous if you don’t act confident with your work. If you have a hard time with acting in confidence then try and look in the mirror and practice with becoming confident. Say positive affirmations daily to help you with boosting up your confidence. Meditation is a great way to help calm down your nerves.
3. Don’t fall for gossip. There might be rumors flying around about your new boss. Don’t let that interfere with your work and your first meeting with your boss. Ignore what people might be saying about your new boss. Remember that sometimes people say things out of jealous and they might be just trying to discourage you so you won’t do good. You might even get false information from your colleague’s months after working with your new job. Always ignore whatever they say and just focus on doing your job and don’t fall for any of their gossip.
4. Show that you are eager to learn new things. Never be afraid to ask many questions. Most bosses love it when they see that the new worker is eager and that they want to learn. If you come into work with the attitude of not wanting to learn then your boss might even regret hiring you. Write down your boss’s answers and show that you are really listening to the things that your boss is telling you because you never know if your boss might repeat those things in the future.
5. Be professional. Before you go in try and practice professionalism. Find out how you should dress and see if there is a dress code before work. Keep your work area clean because you never know when your boss or others might come in to see you. Don’t let home situations cause problems with your work. When you are at work just focus on work, acting professional and getting the job done. Before leaving for work try to clear your mind with any worries of the day and focus on goals that you have for work and focus on how you will act at work.
Learn from your mistakes
We all make mistakes no matter how hard we try to be perfect at work. If you have failed at making a good first impression learn from your mistake and try better when you see your boss next. Don’t give up or think that you won’t have a good relationship with your boss if you make a mistake.